The New Zealand Rural Leadership Trust (NZ Rural Leaders) is seeking an Independent Trustee to join its board. This is an exciting opportunity for a food and fibre leader with strategic and governance experience, strong industry networks and a passion for leadership development, to build on their governance journey.
NZ Rural Leaders is a registered charitable trust. The Trust’s purpose is to: Establish and operate leadership programmes for New Zealand’s food and fibre sector, advance education in agricultural practices, and contribute to the general welfare of New Zealand’s rural population.
In pursuit of this NZ Rural Leaders aim to grow world-class leaders for our country.
The Board meet up to 8 times per year with some meetings coinciding with longer events. 4 “in person” meetings are typically held in Christchurch or Wellington, with video conferencing utilised for the balance.
Meetings are scheduled where possible around Kellogg and Nuffield programme events to enable Board members to be introduced to each cohort of both programmes and contribute as per above role. Meeting dates for the year are set at least 6 months in advance.
Please note, this is an unpaid, voluntary role. Air Travel, accommodation, and meals are covered (where required).
The core competencies sought in all Board members are;
- Strategic focus and experience.
- Previous governance experience.
- Innovative thinking and entrepreneurship.
- Professional expertise in one or more of the following areas: food and fibre sector, adult education or training, business skills, marketing.
- Passion for and understanding of leadership development.
- Strong industry networks and connections.
Applicants with one or more of the following attributes are particularly sought;
- Strong financial skills and understanding.
- Affinity for leadership in Māori and Pacifica agri-business.
- Horticultural, forestry or aquaculture industry knowledge.
- Regional capacity building.
- Partner engagement including local, regional, and central government.
- Global perspective.
You can find more information on the Terms of Reference here.
Applications close on 15 November 2023.
CV and cover letter should be sent to Lisa Rogers, Rural Leaders’ Chief Executive at firstname.lastname@example.org
For any questions, please feel free to contact Chairperson, Kate Scott at email@example.com