Top farmers leverage their consultants to achieve more than they would on their own. They do this in five main ways;
- They have a plan.
- They are prepared for their time with the advisor.
- They have identified the skill s or tools they require.
- They seek advice from reputable sources.
- They seek options, not answers.
Consultants have the ability to significantly lift farm performance provided;
- They are aligned with the farmers plan.
- They are prepared for their time with the farmer.
- They have the experience and skills required to fill the identified gap.
- The y ask the right questions.
- They provide options that are the “right fit” for the farmer.
Consultants also provide an important safety net and social connection for individuals within our industry.
While a corporate background is certainly not a prerequisite for being a farmer, the disciplines, skills, and tools acquired during employment are advantageous to any business owner. Where possible,
farmers should seek out courses and conferences to enhance their business skills.
The goal is to make “their” boat go faster.